A Festival by Activists for Activists
The Wild & Scenic Film Festival is the largest film festival of its kind. We leave you feeling inspired and motivated to make a difference in your community and the world.
What to Expect at the Festival
Experience the adrenaline of kayaking the wildest rivers. Climb the highest peaks. And trek across the globe with adventure films from around the world.
At our festival, you’ll witness how individuals and communities across the globe are taking action.
Explore the issues with leading environmental activists and professionals, filmmakers and celebrities:
- Food systems
- Climate change
- Protection and restoration of wild lands and wild waters
- And so much more
Celebrate the natural and human world with many activities and events:
- 10+ venues for films and workshops across Nevada City and Grass Valley, California
- Youth programming, including Saturday morning cartoons
- Art exhibitions
- Wine tastings and receptions
- Gala event and awards ceremony
All this and more at our one-of-a-kind film festival!
SYRCL (The South Yuba River Citizens League)
Wild & Scenic is organized and produced by SYRCL. Since 1983, our growing community protects and restore the rivers of our home watershed from source to sea.
The Wild & Scenic Film Festival puts our work into the broader environmental and social context. It reminds us that we’re participants in a global movement for a more wild and scenic world.
In 1983, a small group banded together to oppose the construction of two dams on the South Yuba River. Over 25 years and thousands of supporters later, SYRCL (pronounced “circle”) stands stronger than ever.
We have defeated the two dam projects. Now, 39 miles of the South Yuba have become permanently protected through state Wild and Scenic designation. Our small community demonstrated that people can make a difference. We can protect the places where we live, work and play.
River and Watershed Protection Programs
Today, SYRCL leads a range of river and watershed programs in addition to producing the Wild & Scenic Film Festival. And, we’re the Yuba River Waterkeeper, too.
Restoring California’s Wild Salmon
We’re organizing a national campaign to restore California’s wild Chinook salmon.
Fighting Irresponsible Dams
We oppose the proposed Centennial Dam on the Bear River and are leading the campaign to Stop Centennial Dam.
We are starting with the threatened populations in the lower Yuba River:
- Advocating to re-introduce salmon above dams
- Working in many collaborative science forums with public agencies
- Restoring the Yuba Goldfields to provide habitat for salmon, steelhead, riparian habitat and wildlife
View all of our events at the SYRCL website. Here is just a sampling:
- Coordinating the largest citizen-based river monitoring program in the state
- Hosting community events year round, including the Yuba River Clean-Up organizing over 700 volunteers in an annual litter removal project
- Restoration events from headwater meadows to the lower Yuba Goldfields
SYRCL unites the community to protect and restore the Yuba River. Motivated by our love for this watershed, we advocate powerfully, engage in active stewardship, educate the public, and inspire activism from the Sierra to the sea.
Receive discounts and other benefits when you become a SYRCL supporter.
Active members enjoy our favorite perk: the Wild & Scenic Film Library. Borrow selections of films from all 16 years of Wild & Scenic from the library!